08 October 2007

1.5 - Not your father's God

Recently I have been accused of advocating views that are opposed to Christianity. Maybe that's not quite accurate. Perhaps the accusation is more that when the Christian perspective on some subject is being touted, I can be relied upon to give voice to the opposing view. This is particularly of concern to some when children are involved.

Some believe that this is due to a personal crisis of faith. These people are wrong.

While I certainly have my share of issues, belief in God is not currently one of them and my faith is strong. My issues are with all the human interpretations that I've been led to believe that may or may not be accurate—those I'm working through.

Because of my issues, I suppose I find it unconsciously necessary to ensure that alternate views, opposing ways of thinking, and the world's perspective on the subject at hand are examined.

What I believe has in the past been what my parents, my church, and my school believed, and for reasons that weren't always clear, but were never questioned or allowed to be questioned—or at least it seemed that way to me. I want to believe what I believe for better reasons and with a willingness to examine the alternatives. If my belief can't stand up to questions, what good is it?

How can I "be ready always to give an answer for the hope that is within" me, if I haven't prepared for the questions? How can I love the Lord with all my mind if I refuse to use it?

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of religions. The vast majority of those who practice a religion do so because they have been taught to do so by their parents. Most are discouraged from seeking truth, and are even taught that to seek truth outside of their religion is sin.

Any religion that discourages its followers from examining all the religious views of men, including those that say there is no god, must be afraid that there is truth to be found elsewhere. If there is truth to be found elsewhere, should it not be sought?

If my God is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, I fear no opposing view—I welcome it as one more opportunity to showcase truth and refine my beliefs. Much of what is impressed upon us religiously as children is unimportant—actions born of convenience or tradition rather than truth. Many things I have believed in the past have fallen away. The important things have not.

While I certainly want my God to be my children's God, I do not want my children to choose Him for that reason alone.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Brad,

I really appreciate your thoughts in this blog, I too have gone through a period in my walk where you are at right now. I'm curious, what started this process for you to examine other faiths ? Also, you had a line in there about how you think it's possible to find "truth" in other faiths, what did you mean by that ?

Tranquil Thunder said...

It's not so much that I'm examining other faiths so much as I'm examining my own in the light of science. If my faith can't compete with science or can't answer my questions, I need to look elsewhere for truth.

Many of my early beliefs had no basis other than "that's what I was taught."

Here's a somewhat trivial example, but I think you'll see my point. Different churches do things in different ways. Churches generally serve communion in some ritualistic way. Most common to me is passing a plate of tiny crackers and little cups of juice, and depending on the church, it is served either quarterly, monthly, weekly, or every time they meet.

When I look at the Bible, I see no mention of passing a plate of tiny crackers and little cups of juice, let alone a schedule for it. What is the truth?

Well, it seems to me that Jesus said that we should remember him when we get together as a group to have a meal - almost like a toast to Him. Everyone stops for a moment and remembers the sacrifice.

Actually "communing" with each other is too difficult, so instead of a meal with fellowship and a toast of rememberance, we get a plate of tiny crackers and a thimble of juice.

I'm finding that many things that I was taught, things that I have been led to believe are the "right" way to do things, things we always do as a church are not grounded in truth, and I'm seeking to rectify that.

As for the truth to be found in other religions ... there may be none. My point is that if you have to ignore the world around you, all the various religious beliefs, and all the scientific knowledge in order for your faith to work, then there's a problem with your faith.

There are a few questions my beliefs can't currently answer, but other beliefs can. Is there truth there? I'm simply trying to find out.

Steve said...

That's really cool Brad, I respect the journey that you are on right now. Hearing your reasonings reminds me ALOT of Lee Stroebel and the journey he's been on for years. If you've never read his books(knowing you, you probably have, you're a well read guy), he wrote the Case for Faith, Case for Christ and the Case for a Creator. He undertook that journey similar to what you are in that initially he had issues lining up faith in God with science. Now, he was an agnostic when he first started his search, but the principle is the same.

The thing that's interesting to me about your comments on communion is what the original meaning of communion really was. I remember a theology professor of mine said that in the New Testament, the word communion or fellowship in the Greek was called coinea(spelling might be off) and it represented the perfect fellowship between God and man after Christ's sacrifice. With my understanding of it, the communion and fellowship wasn't so much about the food that Christians ate, but rather where there hearts were, in perfect fellowship and communion with God. So, having that knowledge, I agree with you that "rituals" alot of time take center stage in alot of churches, but the real intent that should be present in taking communion today is asking yourself the question, am I perfect fellowship with God in my heart ?

The other thing in regards to the partaking of the elements is what Jesus said at the Last Supper. He instructed His disciples to do this in recognition and memory of me. Modern churches take this in so many directions now, even to the point where Catholics believe they are literally eating and drinking the body of Christ. The principle that I think alot of the church has adopted today is that it's focused on the rememberence aspect of Jesus's sacrifice. Yes, we're not having a full on meal like Jesus did at the Last Supper, but the principle I think Jesus taught was that when you take communion, it should be done in reflection and rememberence of what He did for us on the Cross.

I totally agree with you Brad wholeheartedly that tradition should not detract from the truth of the Word of God, and this is a difficult topic to really go after, because to me, if you really look at it, just as much as using tiny crackers and a thimble of juice can be considered "ritual", one could probably say the same thing about alot of other different aspects of a traditional worship service, including the use of guitars or organs for your worship music, or certain denominations Pastors using robes, or a whole host of other things.

What I really respect about your process Brad is that you're not content to simply stand pat and live a mediocre brand of Christianity, I love that the Bible says that it is living and active, because that's what our faith should be lived out like. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts, excellent blog !!