25 September 2007

7.4 - The End is Near!

Pay no attention to the title—ok, well, maybe *some* attention—I'm just trying to take advantage of a trend I've noticed. It seems that of my seven topics, the two that garner the most response are "God" and "The Future." I must semi-logically conclude that people are really only interested in the Apocalypse, and the rest of life happens only as a means of reaching that most interesting end.

Since this falls sort of neatly into "The Future," here we go!

So, are we destined for some kind of apocalyptic end?

God-fearing folks (not all of them, mind you) have believed that theirs was the last generation for 2000 years now. Every generation could point out all the reasons why the end was near. I have a copy of "88 Reasons Why Christ Will Return in 1988," if you care to see it. I believe the sequel was called "89 Reasons..."

What is the point of an apocalyptic vision of the future? Is it a tool used by religion to keep the populace in check, on the edge of their seats, ready for judgement at any time? Is it the perceived natural conclusion of increasing political turmoil used to maintain some semblance of world peace? Is it simply a great device for science fiction? (Post-apocalyptic sci-fi rocks!)

Is the end of the world the end of the world, and if so, is it close enough to care?

I know what I was taught. I know what I've observed. I know the many opinions of others that have been relayed to me. I've studied all the theories. I've read many of the books.

Regarding the future and my personal end the conclusions are quite clear.

I'm going to be working on the house.

7 comments:

Catherine Wannabe said...

Umm...I think the only thing I can add is a sappy trite quote: "Dream as if you'll live forever; live as if you'll die tomorrow". Wow. That oughta do it.

Day off??

Tranquil Thunder said...

What did I tell you? There's the first of a coming flood of comments. Sweet. And I'm back to the top of the topic list, so I can keep this going. Ha!

Tranquil Thunder said...

Hey another one! Sweet!

Tranquil Thunder said...

Oh...

ballast photography said...

you're a dork

Tranquil Thunder said...

I was just a little excited is all.

Now I'm a little sad.

ballast photography said...

Don't be sad. I love dorks.