30 May 2007

2.0 - Country - Baseline

USA - I wouldn't want to live in any other country—any other country that I know about, anyway. I suppose that could change. I do have a fascination with the many micro-nations that have been attempted over the years, but I digress...

Politically, I was raised as a republican, and they certainly get some things right, but the definition of republican has changed over the years, making it difficult to see what they still get right. Currently, I'm afraid it isn't very much. They're still good for business. I sure miss Ronald Reagan.

I have always been expected to view democrats as misguided souls who just don't understand economics and capitalism, and want to take your money and give it to people and organizations that they decide are worthy. Well, I still see them that way to some extent, but I now appreciate their unwavering position on personal freedom, something the republicans seem to no longer respect.

The political landscape has to change. I don't think anyone can be happy to call themselves a democrat or a republican. Both parties are just plain lousy.

The search for a better political party leads to the world's smallest political quiz. Where do I fit on the political map? Well my big red dot is right on the top edge, one square to the right of top-dead-center. Imagine that.

This is my baseline. I'm a libertarian. Issues to follow...

No comments: