03 June 2007

5.1 - Not a Drop to Drink

If I could sum up all the problems of home maintenance with one word, that word would be water. Dirt and lack of space run a distant second and third, but water easily takes the prize. I don't even drink water—yuck.

We strive to keep it out of our homes, then purposely bring it in, only to make lame attempts to guide it back out again. There is always a breakdown somewhere. I, for one, am somedays just not happy about the whole "indoor plumbing" thing.

As I write, I have a leak in the roof, a cracked tub that needs replacing, a drain and a toilet that are slowing down, a sink to install, a leaky faucet, two pipe fittings to replace, caulking to finish, a hose nozzle to replace, and a hot water heater that I've been expecting to explode since 1996.

Dirt and lack of space make the short list because take the joy out of other home maintenance tasks. When you are laying on your back in a dusty crawl space doing a half-situp while trying to ... well ... trying to do anything (especially anything involving pipes!), you quickly understand why dirt and lack of space are two and three.

It's been raining all day.

No comments: